Monday, May 26, 2008

Are You Great Enough?


I don't need a Lotus roadster to feel great. Thank you very much. Not that connoisseurs of sports car shall be condemned. I am a fan of Jaguar MKII. I like the design and aesthetics of this mid-size saloon. But there's everything wrong to equate owning a sports car to social advancement/supremacy - status anxiety instilled in its finest.

This is faintly connected to a recent correspondence with a friend on the meaning in work/working (as in to pay the bills): "I am not even that ambitious yet - I am not trying to look for a 'larger' meaning - I am at Level-1. I am just looking for any meaning at-all. but I agree that it is elusive."

He is referring to this article in the Online Beebs on work. The journalist wrote: "We start to demand that our work has a larger meaning. This almost always ends badly, meaning is a bit like happiness - the more you go out looking for it the less you find."

No comments: